Friday, November 21, 2008

SATURDAY-22 NOVEMBER 2008-ANWAR SAYS SAPP WAS WISE TO LEAVE BN; ACCUSES GOVT OF RACIAL POLITICS



ANWAR SAYS SAPP WAS WISE TO LEAVE BN; ACCUSES GOVT OF RACIAL POLITICS

KOTA KINABAIU:

Sahah Progressive Party’s decision to leave the BN Coalition was a wise move, according to Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who again accused the Government of playing racial politics.

“Once you decide to leave Barisan Nasional, you can really take the position and represent the conscience, sentiments and problems of your people,” said the Parti Keadilan Rakyat de facto Leader yesterday.

Speaking to reporters after officiating PKR Luyang Service Centre in Damai, here, he said that SAPP President, Datuk Yong Teck Lee, as well as the Partys two Members of Parliament, Datuk Chua Soon Bui and Datuk Eric Majimbun, had shown an impressive performance in the Parliament, having articulated their views effectively during sittings.

Asked if there is any possible cooperation with SAPP, the former Deputy Prime Minister disclosed that he had met Yong earlier yesterday and would be sitting down for a proper meeting today.

In responding to a question whether SAPP would be joining the Pakatan Rakyat, Anwar replied: “we discussed on many issues; it is not just SAPP, you know .”

He quickly added: “May be the rest have not said anything, they may have not told you, (but) they have told me, or they may have told you but you are keeping it a secret.”

“The situation has changed. The equation has changed. Based on our performance in the Peninsular, the results were a remarkable phenomenon.”

On whether the mission to take over the Federal Government is still on, he replied: “Taking over is predicated upon the readiness which I have said on Sept 16, it is a clear position but a contingent upon the modus operandi which is legal and constitutional ... that was why we asked for a meeting with the Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi) and a special session in Parliament. We have not got it.

“But can you, in any democratic process, seriously think you can stop the march of the people if they attempt to a change?... You cannot.

“I watched the news last (previous) night and I watched how the Government was playing with racial tones, talking on Malay leadership (kepimpinan Melayu), on how the Perak Government gave land to build a Chinese school, how the Selangor and Kedah Governments gave land for pig rearing… what is this? You mean to say there is no need for pig rearing? Is there no pig rearing in Sabah? This is not politics; it is instilling a climate of fear among the Malays.

“If you read the papers, they made us look like we are traitors to the Malay community, as preached by the Umno leaders in Parliament. That is why I asked to meet the people to explain to them the situation as I have no other means to tell,” he said.

Anwar said as a Muslim, he is not against people who eat pork.

“I am a Muslim, I do not take liquor nor eat pork, but does my religion forbid me from allowing non- Muslims to take pork, then what can I do? Can I do more than what Islam requires me to do? No.”

He said if there is a pig farm nearby, then the owners must respect and clean it up.

“That is our concern now. The battle now is not to play politics but the right politics for this country. Now I am here to face them head on, that is why they do not tolerate me and threatened me with jail. I don’t care, I have a duty to perform and I will do it,” he said.

He urged the BN Government to stop talking on the issue, adding that it defeats the whole purpose of promoting national integration and security.