Sunday, October 19, 2008

MONDAY-20 OCTOBER 2008- MUHYIDDIN RESPECTS PLAN

Muhyiddin respects plan
Minister says his comments merely on campaign period and he will explain to PM


KOTA KINABALU:


International Trade and Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Mohd Yassin, who is contesting for the Deputy Presidency in the March Umno elections, said he has always respected the transition plan that has been agreed upon and reiterated that his comments were merely on the campaign period. “I respect the transition plan that has been agreed upon. I was the first one who responded to say I respected it, I accepted it. I don’t ask anything about it anymore because that has been agreed upon by the leaders, council members. It is good that we stand by with the decision. “I was just stating facts. If it (the campaign period) is long, it’s long. I didn’t propose beyond what I said,” he told reporters after attending the State Barisan Nasional Backbenchers Club (BNBBC) Han Raya get- together here yesterday. Asked if he would make clarifications to the Prime Minister directly, Muhyiddin replied: “I will definitely want to explain, no problem, if the Prime Minister wants me to explain what I said.” On a question if he believed Abdullah had misunderstood what he was trying to say, Muhyiddin said many people ‘did not understand what he was saying. “Datuk Seri Najib also asked me two days ago whether I’ve read the report that came out in Utusan Malaysia. “Actually I said I was just commenting on people asking me about four months of campaign period, is it long or not? So I said of course it’s long, that’s it,” he explained. “I don’t even touch on the transition plan, I was just responding to a question with regard to the campaign period,” he added. Muhyiddin said he had been advised by many of his friends to be patient with the situation and not give further comments that could be misinterpreted. Asked if he believed he could continue functioning properly in the Cabinet now that some members might be upset with him, he said: “I have no problem because I delivered what I’m supposed to do. I sat together with the Prime Minister in all the Cabinet meetings and other important meetings.” Meanwhile on him qualifying to contest the Umno Deputy President’s post, Muhyiddin thanked all the divisions that had given him their support. “I’m very encouraged with this positive development, but of course I hope this will not stop. (I hope they will continue just to give me the much needed support. At the end of the day, of course I hope to win,” he added.