Wednesday, October 15, 2008

THURSDAY-16 OCTOBER 2008- COOK WANTS POLICE BEATING PROBE TO BE SPEEDED UP

Cook wants police beating probe to be speeded up

PENANG:

A cook, who had alleged that he was beaten up by a Police officer in Sungai Petani, Kedah, more than two months ago, has asked Police to speed up investigations into the case. Loh Chor Yau, 28, claimed that there has been no progress in the investigations into the case after he made a Police report at the Alor Star Police District Headquarters on July 29. Speaking to reporters at the Datok Keramat Assemblyman Jagdeep Singh’s service centre here yesterday, Loh claimed that he was roughed at by a man in his 40s, who claimed that he was a Police officer, outside his mother-in-law’s house in Taman Sri Impian, Sungai Petani at 11pm on July 28. “I went there to meet my wife, Tay Chin Yun, 28, and pick up my two children, aged seven and four,” he said, adding that he had been separated from his wife and they were in a divorce process, while their children were staying with him. “After waiting for one hour outside the gate of the house, a Police patrol car pulled alongside and two men alighted and handcuffed me. Another man rushed out of the house and beat me on my head, stomach and hands. “The man told me that he is a Police Inspector from Kuala Muda, Kedah. I was not told why I was handcuffed and beaten up,” he said. Loh said he was later taken to the Sungai Petani Police station where he was detained for one hour before he was sent home by a patrol car. “Until today, I do not know why I was handcuffed and beaten up,” he said. Loh said he was asked to go the Kuala Muda Police station several times to identify the officer who had allegedly beaten him but upon arrival he was given excuses why the identification parade could not be held.